Tuesday 9 November 2010

A Whitstable wander


Welcome to @Binarydad's Whitstable wander

Whitstable, in Kent, is a seaside town known for it's oysters and tourist appeal. It's a pretty small place, just 30,000 inhabitants - but it goes back a long way - and it's maritime history has made it an appealing place for a wander.


Strolling down the High Street, I was smitten by the art-deco stylings of the Oxford cinema house. Built in 1936, it survived as a picture house for less than 50 years and, along with seemingly every other nice picture house built in Britain pre-war, survives now as a bingo hall.


Deeper into town, the Cumberland Hotel sits on a commanding site, right in the heart of the town. Just looking at it made me want to drink beer and eat pork scratchings. Though I felt that way looking at the cinema too.


On the seafront, Whitstable boasts some prime Kent real estate. Famously, Peter Cushing lived in one of the houses here. Some of the houses are beautiful - but for outrageous charm, the ramshackle Stag Cottage just stands out. Now mostly given over to the pigeons, the cottage has been subject to a legal wrangle over it's status. It may not survive the next gale, so it was great to see it.


Look. A boat. On the land. Blew my mind.


That pint seems a really good idea. See how lovely the Old Neptune looks? Well, I've go to press on. Before I lose the light. But I will return. Oh yes. I will. Return.


This is a super row of houses. Right on the seafront. Superb. Obviously, well out of the financial reach of the likes of me...


... so maybe a beach hut would be more viable. I like this one. And in Doncaster Rovers' colours too. That must be intentional.


... and look how adorable this hut is. Someone has scrawled "This Hut is Gay" on it. I think that's sad. Don't be sad, hut. I think you are lovely.


In fact, all the huts are gorgeous. There. I said it.


Look! A rusty old car. I have no interest in cars. But I like rust.


And I like this house. Charmingly asymetrical. I knocked on the door loudly for 42 minutes but they didn't let me in. Though I saw a curtain twitch.


Nothing remotely photogenic about a tight alley. But check out its name.


But now I REALLY need that beer. The Old Neptune calls me back. You just know it's going to look great inside too...


... and so it does. Now. Where are my pork scratchings?


No comments:

Post a Comment