Friday 5 March 2010

My wander. Part 1

Leaving the studio one Friday lunchtime I decided to go for a walk and clear the artworking cobwebs from my head.

"I'm going for a wander" I tweeted (I tweet too much).

"Where are you wandering?" replied a surprising number of my followers.

So I wandered. I walked until my feet found old routes I had taken years ago, the routes I had taken home when I was a student. I wandered to places I used to find interesting, but had forgotten about.

I went to look at, photograph, and tweet about some of the places that made Nottingham interesting for me when I arrived 16 years ago.

My phone pinged with Twitter notifications throughout, lazy radio DJs in Spain, bored Canadian donut operatives and an increasingly worried guy who lived 10 metres from one of my photographs - they, and quite a few others, all took interest and asked me about the places I was re-visiting.

My wander pointed out two very obvious things to me. Firstly, it is very easy to forget what makes a place special. Secondly, it is a lot of fun to re-discover local gems and share them with friends. - however ephemeral they are.








No comments:

Post a Comment