Saturday 15 May 2010

Quebec City, Part 1

I attended a conference in Quebec City last week. This was the little plane I took to Toronto, for my connection to Quebec.

Now, the thing about Quebec City is that it's one of the oldest cities in North America, founded (sort of) in 1535 and continuously settled since 1608. It's also the only city with a fully walled garrison in North America. My conference was held right in the heart of the old city, so while I didn't do any concentrated sight-seeing, I did get many shots of historic areas as I wandered from meetings to lunches to receptions. Above you can see a section of the old city wall, at the top of the escarpment.

Walking in the Old City involves a lot of hills. Here's a road leading up to the ramparts, which I climbed to start the morning every day. My choice of 2.5" heels for the first day was perhaps injudicious.


Cannons are set into the ramparts along various stretches, for decorative purposes only, I assume, since all you could shoot at now would be this:


The harbour on the St. Lawrence.


Almost every street is picturesque, so I took pictures of a fairly random assortment of places.




I've got too many photos for one post (and not enough patience), so I'll end this post with an evening shot, and be back with more in a day or two.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely. I like the road up the hill to the ramparts particularly. You should be sprinting up there, young Aven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! Pregnant, on 2.5" heels, in a skirt? I'm not *that* young!

    ReplyDelete