Monday 17 May 2010

Quebec City, Part 3


Just a few last pictures. Another statue -- they're all over the place. I'm sorry to say that I've forgotten who this is. A closer shot:


Definitely a legislator of some sort -- perhaps one of the men involved with the early confederation talks?

The Quebec Legislature (Quebec City is the capital of the province of Quebec):


Crossing the city walls, out of the old city:


The wine and cheese reception on the second evening of the conference (which I should have taken a picture of -- the spread was astounding, and I was unable to eat most of the cheese, or drink the wine, dammit!) was in l'Observatoire, a glassed-in room in a tower. There were spectacular views, which are the last pictures I took in the city. The St. Lawrence River & the Plains of Abraham, where the battle between Wolfe & Montcalm for control of Quebec took place in 1759, resulting in the British takeover of New France (the beginnings of Canada) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Quebec_%281759%29):



The harbour:


The old citadel, nearest the river (which I wish I'd found the time to visit):



And that's all, folks! Thanks for wandering with me.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely wander series - some great old buildings and views :)

    ReplyDelete