Tuesday 29 June 2010

An 'Elite' wander

Another sunny day, another impromptu #wander.


I thought I'd start with the Elite cinema on Upper Parliament Street. Stunning and white on a nice day, it is no longer a cinema, but a collection of shops and a nightclub. It was designed by Adamson & Kinns and opened in 1921, and some of the statuary is fantastic.



As I walked away, I noticed an alleyway. Somehow, I've never noticed it before, so I thought it was worth investigating.


Yak! I won't walk down there again. Here's where it opens out....


Round the corner, on Lower Parliament stands this increasingly sad building, I haven't been about to find out any details about it though.


Some nice details though...


...and an unfortunate roof 'garden'.


(Update: According to the Nottingham Civic Society, this was built in 1896 for Furley's, the provisions merchants. The architect was.... yes, you guessed it, Watson Fothergill.)

This is 22 Fletcher Gate. I can't find any information about it either, except that it is marked "Boden & Co' above the door...and looks fantastic when the sun comes out.


(Update: According to the North East Midland Photographic Record, "this building was once the Splendour Lingerie factory, The Splendour Music Hall, and Boden's Warehouse.")

I hope you enjoyed another of my 'scouting' style wanders. I've found loads of interesting buildings in Nottingham, so I will try to do a lot more posts like this. Any suggestions for Nottingham landmarks etc to include will be very welcome.

Thom


No comments:

Post a Comment