Sunday 18 April 2010

Robin Hood Wander

After pottering about in the garden all day on luvverly sunny Saturday I thought I'd better take my lazy ass for a wander the following day to balance things out. So, here's a few pics from Edwinstowe and Sherwood Forest (before it gets swamped by hoardes of visitors come the release of Robin Crowe)...

1) They make the kids work for their playground fun these days.

2) The fairground returns to the edge of Sherwood Forest. I think the sign declaring this to be an 'amusement park' may be overstating things a little.

3) Ahh, village cricket. Smashing. Vicar, tea and cakes not pictured. I once got thwacked on the ankle bone attempting to stop a crisply driven boundary as I passed. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen, people.

4) The Major Oak is now more machine than tree, propped up and pumped full of lead to keep it going. A bit like Darth Vader. But a tree.

5) The Red route round Sherwood Forest

6) Some yellowy flowers (Whaddya think I am – some sort of botanist?) in Budby South Forest, just beyond Sherwood Forest

7) Lost glove

8) This always makes me chuckle. Straight out of Phoenix Nights. An ex-car park ticket machine reconfigured as a sticker dispenser near the Sherwood Forest visitors centre. Y'know, for kids. The tourists sure are gonna be wowed by this sorta thing!

9) Wandering back through the village, Edwinstowe Bistro signage

10) Robin and Marian statue, Edwinstowe high street

11) Village hall mosaic

12) The church where Robin and Marian were married. If they actually existed.

3 comments:

  1. I love this one - the cricket, the gorse, the oak, the statue of Robin in his Errol Flynn outfit. A perfect wander.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lovely. Sherwood forest stills seems rather magical to me, even with cheesy vending machines and tourist stuff. Probably the thousands of miles between me and it help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That ticket machine is great. I'm the proud owner of a friar tuck and maid marian sticker. Hoping to complete the set eventually :P

    ReplyDelete