Tuesday 3 August 2010

Cemetery Wander

As part of an ongoing project to find out more about the architect Watson Fothergill, I noticed that he is buried in Church Cemetery. So I thought I'd have a look for his grave.

On the way to the cemetery I saw this rather excitable sign outside the wonderful Jermy & Westerman antiquarian bookshop...


This is Mansfield Road Lodge - built on the site of an old toll booth.


Church Cemetery - formerly Rock Cemetery.


It is quite big.


Ooops.


I decided not to investigate this hollowed out grave...


...or the gnawed dead bird nearby.


This grave looks a likely candidate for an architect known for his Gothic Revival and English Vernacular designs...


...but this is actually Watson Fothergill's grave. A surprisingly simple affair..



There are some rather grand memorials in this cemetery.


And graves, cut into the rock - oddly separated from their neighbours.


Great looking caves, which I think are from a failed business attempt to build catacombs in the 1920s.


They might even connect to the 'Mansfield Road Caves' which are, I think, less than 100m away.


And back towards the exit.


The Sadlers huddle together beneath a sheltering outcrop.


Outside, and down a side road, the Jewish Cemetery from the early 19th century appears forgotten and neglected.


This plaque is difficult to photograph, so I'm not sure what it says.


Back in town, this claims to be the oldest restaurant in Nottingham.


Market Square - featuring the Nottingham Riviera. Funfair, food and a beach for the kids.


Thanks for joining me. As ever, suggestions for future wanders are always welcome.

T


No comments:

Post a Comment