Tuesday 10 August 2010

Wander to Canning Circus


I varied the route I often take for my lunchtime wander. These are some of the things I saw.

This is the Bell Inn, dating from around 1437. It used to consist of two taverns with an alleyway down the middle - the alleyway is now a corridor through to the back bar.


Hidden behind trees, above unremarkable shops is the elegant Bromley House. This 18th Century building is now Nottingham's subscription library.


Onwards, up Angel Row away from Market Square, there are other interesting shopfronts.


At this point, I normally walk up Derby Road past the cathedral, but this time I went up Tollhouse Hill on to Wollaton Street...and was rewarded with some rather nice industrial buildings.


This building, covered in signs for long-forgotten businesses...


..has a really great set of doors.


Apparently this building used to be a theatre - but it has really fallen into disrepair. The other side is interesting too - I'll come back again for that.


As Derby Road meets Canning Circus, there is a little terrace of shops by Watson Fothergill. Not his best work, but one for my collection anyway.


Canning Terrace, a row of early Victorian almshouses, has an archway through to...


...the General Cemetery, surprisingly tranquil after the noise of the road.


Though somewhat let down by this.


Over the road is the Nottingham College of Art - in a particularly proud building.


This is the back of a very fine looking terrace of houses... I thought this side showed more character though.


The Newton Building, built in the 50's, was where I "studied" at Nottingham Trent University


This is the Masonic lodge on Goldsmith Street.


Finally, as per usual, a shot of Market Square - with the Nottingham Riviera still in full swing.


Thanks for joining me on another little wander.


1 comment:

  1. Lovely, as always. Fascinating glimpses of industrial / commercial history.

    ReplyDelete