Tuesday 24 August 2010

Ludlow

Finally, I have some time available to catch up on my Wander blogs. First up – the “historic town of Ludlow” as it’s always described. I wish I’d photographed the driver of the Park’n’Ride bus, who entertained us with hilarious observations about the town and it’s denizens as we passed. He dropped us off in the market square, clos to this (remember you can click the picture to see a bigger version and check what the passageway is called). DSCF1177

Note the black uneven cobblestones – and why is there a bricked in door above the passageway? I have no idea. Through the passageway are Art Galleries and cafés. Ludlow retains a lot of its old buildings and streets-DSCF1179DSCF1182 DSCF1186

DSCF1185Looking in a bit more detail, as we always do on a #wander, I found this pub sign a little disturbing – I think it’s the expression on the bull’s face. I couldn’t find anything to suggest what the actual Bull Ring might originally have been, but this pub apparently dates back to the 14th Century.

DSCF1190

 

I was also intrigued by the bendy windows on this furniture restorers. Wonder if they have to pay the window cleaner extra?

 

 

 

 

More wonderfully ornate windows and decoration – do you think the bloke in the second photo looks a bit familiar?DSCF1191DSCF1192 Moving on, I was delighted to find a proper old hardware shop – Rickards, I think it is called – and it is wonderful! Look; it has wooden drawers for different types of nail and screw and washer. It also had an elderly gentleman in a long coat who politely served me with a roll of insulating tape. How many of you thought “Four Candles” when you saw this? Just me then…DSCF1195

Thom would have a field day here, as there are a lot of passageways and alleys-DSCF1197

… and more old buildings than you could shake a stick at (if that’s your idea of a good time).DSCF1199

Let’s toddle off to the castle now – oh yes, there’s a hoofing great castle, too, guarded by a cannon… and a water fountain. Tried to think of a joke about huge water-pistols to go in here, but couldn’t #humourfailDSCF1201 DSCF1248

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The castle has the largest tickets I’ve ever seen.DSCF1205

I liked this beautiful old tree.DSCF1207

Some detail from around the castle, before we get on to a couple of wider shots -

DSCF1214

These coats of arms and inscriptions were erected in 1581. The lower coat of arms belongs to Sir Henry Sidney, and is surrounded by the garter. Above this coat of arms is the Sidney crest which shows a chained porcupine (!!). The latin inscription reads:

Hominibus Ingratis Loqvimini Lapides  -  "To ungrateful men we stones do speak" DSCF1216

I liked this little window partly because of the view of typically English countryside, and partly because of the extremely old wooden sill and lintel. They show the marks of centuries passing. And I liked these arches cos the middle pillar has Kermit on top of it.DSCF1217

Here’s a poor bloke – or is it a woman? – who’s lost his nose. How does he smell, I wonder?DSCF1236

I liked this angled shot as it shows several levels of the castle, as well as some attractive flora which has taken hold.DSCF1225

Here’s a shot from the top of the keep, where it was VERY windy -DSCF1242

Time for a sit down and a chance to investigate our seemingly appropriate purchase from the Oxfam shop -DSCF1238

DSCF1241

 

There were pigeons everywhere – can you spot two in this photo?

 

 

 

Here’s a panorama from the top of the keep (click to enlarge, as usual) -DSCF1243

And here’s a more conventional view of the town from up there. You can you see the Market Square, with the narrow streets beyond, and in the distance the green hills.DSCF1245

Finally, I really wanted to buy this for Thom from the castle shop, but it was £18.50.DSCF1204

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I like the Tudor(?)-y houses. And the ruined castle is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's that you bought - Jamie Theakston: The Video Game?
    Yup, I got 'Four Candles' vibes straight away!

    ReplyDelete